Latest Duplex Ultrasound Scan Results

Tuesday - 7/09/2019
Finally received a call from my PCP's office at 9:00am with the results from the additional Duplex Ultrasound scans completed on Friday 7/5 at Thomas Hospital. 

Bad news and Good news
The two areas of concern identified during the initial scans of Wednesday morning 7/3 have been confirmed with the latest scans as active blood clots, aka DVT's. Sounds like bad news and it could have been real bad news, however the size and location of the two clots are actually good news. According to the latest information, I was told that calf vein thromboses are less likely to break free and travel to the lung or “embolize”, the real bad stuff. My right calf vein thrombosis will be treated as a "superficial thrombophlebitis". 

A "Direct Oral Anticoagulant" will be prescribed by my PCP, daily dosage to be determined. Because a DVT in a calf vein can lead to a larger, more proximal DVT that can break off and migrate to the lung, additional ultrasound scans will need to be repeated in 1 to 2 weeks if the symptoms persist in my right calf, an MRI may also be needed to validate the clot has dissolved. My diet, exercise program and regular blood testing will also require careful management over the next several weeks, weight gain or high impact workouts using the lower body is out of the question, this includes long walks of over an hour or any extended time on the elliptical or recumbent bike. Upper body training and low impact weight training for lower body is acceptable so I now have doc's OK to visit Planet Fitness, cool! 

Unless something strange happens and these blood clots get worse, I expect to get a full release to return to work, hopefully on Friday, 7/26 during my last follow up appointment scheduled for July. My PCP would like to see a drop of another 10 pounds before returning to work and consistent blood pressure readings outside of Hypertension Stages 1 or 2 and within the normal / high normal ranges. As for blood pressure I feel I have that piece of my health puzzle solved as long as I stay on track, blood pressure readings this morning was 134 / 79.  For the weight piece, I also feel this is well within reach now that I can start to exercise again.



Comments