The Yo-Yo affect and my weigh loss failure, again.

It has been a while since I provided an update on my weight loss adventure so here is an extended timeline that outlines my progress or lack there of over the last 14 months:
  • January 1st 2019 just a tad under 400 pounds @ 398 lbs.
  • February 2019 my primary care physician recommended weight loss surgery
  • March 2019 started to research alternatives and decided on a weight loss boot camp (See the Introduction page) 
  • May 5th, 2019  I started the boot camp at 375 lbs.
  • After 6 weeks of attendance, on June 23rd 2019 I was down to the lowest weight I have been in 2 years @ 319 lbs.
  • At the end of week 7, on June 30th 2019, I had gained back 5 pounds, up to 324 lbs.
  • July 2019 through August 2019 was roller-coaster time as previously mentioned, I went back and fourth between a gain of 16 pounds, back up to 340 lbs. and then a re-loss of 6 lbs.
  • Starting September 1, 2019 I was at 334 lbs.
From September 2019 forward, it has been a disaster. All the weight I had lost n 2019 I simply regained.  Excuses, sure I have them but the bottom line is my weight loss experience of attending a boot camp to kick start a healthy life style and continue weight loss in order to avoid weight loss surgery was a total failure.

My primary care physician, who was not in favor of my decision of attending a weight loss boot camp was absolutely correct when he said I would likely regain the weight. The logic behind his prognosis was simple to understate after the fact. I was removed from reality, at the boot camp everything was structured and controlled.  Meals, physical activity, leisure time and sleeping was on a set schedule. Most important the stress of everyday life was temporary removed. This is not reality for most people, once we step back into reality the structure enforced at the boot camp fades away quickly and old habits come back with a vengeance.
  • From September 1st 2019 to January 1st 2020 we went right back to square ONE, weight was up to 398 lbs., again! 
Why did this happen?

YES, I joined a gym last year to continue exercising as instructed, however...
NO.. I have yet to go since joining.

YES, I was given a meal plan to follow post boot camp attendance, however...
NO.. I did not follow it.

Totally my fault, however I will point to one item that was promised but NEVER provided and that was the heavily advertised post boot camp attendance support. I never received one phone call or any emails. Would it have helped, maybe but ultimately I am responsible for my actions.

So we planned to move forward with weight loss surgery, Gastric Sleeve procedure to be exact. I decided to do "Self Pay". I simply don't have the time to play the health insurance head games bullshit of meeting silly pre-op requirements like loosing weight to qualify for weight loss surgery or seeing my doctor for 6 consecutive months before I can submit a request for approval of the procedure. I was schedule and ready to go... until COVID.




Comments